Vegan brownies with an Ayurvedic touch
These smooth brownies: I love it! And easy and quickly made.
The Ayurvedic touch comes from two ingredients: the spices and the ashwagandha.
Spices that aid digestion
Spices like chai spices are not only tasty, but also support digestion. And digestion has a major impact on the immune system.
A chai mix does not have a set recipe and you can find many different family recipes. Ingredients that are often included in the chai mix are cinnamon, ginger, cardamom, vanilla powder, ground cloves, nutmeg and allspice.
Personally, I sometimes replace chai mix spices with gingerbread spices, that have some similarities. The mix I use consists of cinnamon, ginger, cubebe powder, aniseed, fennel seed, cardamom, nutmeg and cloves.
Cinnamon is often used in sweet dishes and is used in Ayurveda to support stabilizing blood sugar. In addition, it contains a lot of antioxidants.
Did you know that there are different types of cinnamon? Ceylon cinnamon contains a lot less coumarin than Cassia cinnamon, a substance that is not so good for the liver and can affect the blood supply. This coumarin is also the reason why it is recommended not to use too much cinnamon during pregnancy. To indicate the difference: ceylon cinnamon contains on average 0.017 g/kg while the Cassia contains about 2.15/6.97 g/kg coumarin.
Ashwagandha is an adaptogen that is used in Ayurveda, among other things, for stress, for a quicker recovery and to maintain energy. If you want to know more about the extent to which Ashwagandha is or is not recommended for you personally, I advise you to discuss this with an Ayurvedic specialist.
- 2 ripe bananas
- 100 grams of hazelnut and/or almond butter
- 30 grams of raw cocoa
- 4 tablespoons of coconut flour
- 5 pitted Medjoul dates (possibly soaked in water → easier for the mixer)
- 1 teaspoon of chai spices, Ceylon cinnamon or gingerbread spices
- ¼ teaspoon of Himalayan salt
- optional: 1 teaspoon of ashwagandha (an ayurvedic adaptogen)
- optional: 1 tablespoon of maple syrup
- Shredded coconut & goji berries
- food processor or (hand) blender
- small baking tin or brownie mold (+/- 20 cm x 18 cm)
- parchment paper
- Preheat the oven to 190 ℃ to 200 ℃ (depending on your oven).
- Mix all ingredients (except the toppings) with the (hand) blender or food processor to a smooth batter.
- Line the baking dish with parchment paper.
- Transfer the batter to the in the baking tin (lined with parchment paper). Smooth it out with a scraper or spoon.
- Sprinkle the dough with a little water.
- Bake the vegan brownies in the oven for 15 minutes.
- After cooling, you can sprinkle the brownies with toppings such as shredded coconut and/or goji berries.
Enjoy your delicious homemade vegan brownies!
Enjoy your habits today with love and light.
Never ever again miss anything from our yoga blog?
Do you want to implement more yoga lifestyle habits, step by step? To become more relax and create & enjoy your ideal life by heart? To live according to your intention? Your pursuit of happiness? It is our goal to help you with this.
SIGN UP FOR OUR NEWSLETTER and never again miss any of our yoga blogs again.