Sweet potato brownies (vegan & gluten free)
Before I could take a picture, my boyfriend had already eaten a large piece of brownie. Yes, these brownies are a real favorite here at home (and beyond)!
Since these brownies are also perfect for Christmas, I didn't want to wait to publish them until the next time I make them (and can take a photo before the brownies are cut and partially disappeared).
You don't really taste the sweet potato directly in the brownies, but it makes the flavors of the cacao come out beautifully, adds some grounding flavour (perfect for these cold days) and gives an amazing smooth structure. Plus they are less heavy on the stomach and you get some vegetables in as well with your treats.
As you are used to with all YogaHabits recipes, these brownies are made without refined sugars. Though, I did use some maple syrup. These brownies will complete your christmas dinner perfectly.
Ingredients (12 brownies)
- 250 gram sweet potato purée (see instructions)
- 150 ml maple syrup
- 125 gram white almond butter
- 2 tablespoons (raw) extra virgin coconut oil
- 50 gram raw cacao powder (choose a good quality for extra delicious brownies)
- 1/4 teaspoon himalaya salt
- 1 tsp baking powder (I use organic tartar baking powder from Lecker’s)
- 60 gram oat flour (= grinded oats)*
- 50 gram chopped raw pecans
- 45 gram chopped 70% chocolate (dairy free)
* If you’re really sensitive to gluten, choose oat (flour) that is explicitly marked as gluten free (meaning grown and produced in such a way that it is free from contamination of other grains, since oats do not contain gluten itself, but in regular oats, usually a few wheat seeds will end up between the oats).
- Baking pan from around 25 cm x 20 cm
- Parchment paper
- Mixing bowl
- (Hand) blender or food processor
Preparing sweet potato purée
- Heat the convection oven to 200ºC.
- Pierce the sweet potatoes several times with a fork.
- Place the sweet potatoes in the oven (on a piece of baking paper or on an oven dish) for 45 minutes.
- Get the sweet potatoes out of the oven and let them cool down
- Peel the sweet potatoes (the skin will come off very easily).
- Mash the sweet potatoes with a (hand) blender or food processor.
If you prepare the sweet potato puree in advance, you can store it in the fridge until use.
- Heat convection oven to 175ºC.
- Line a baking pan from around 25 cm x 20 cm (or similar-size pan) with parchment paper.
- To a large mixing bowl, add sweet potato purée, maple syrup, almond butter, and coconut oil. Use a (hand) blender or food processor to combine.
- Add cacao powder, himalya salt, and baking powder and mix again.
- Add oat flour and mix until a thick, scoopable batter is achieved.
- Transfer batter to your parchment-lined baking dish and spread into an even layer using a spoon or rubber spatula. Top the brownie batter with chopped pecans and chopped chocolate.
- Bake for 28-32 minutes on 175ºC. Remove from oven and let cool in the baking pan.
Enjoy your delicious brownies warm or at room temperature. Store the rest of the brownies in the refrigerator for a maximum of 5-7 days.
Enjoy your habits today with love and light.
Never ever again miss anything from our yoga blog?
Do you want to implement more yoga lifestyle habits, step by step? To become more relax and create & enjoy your ideal life by heart? To live according to your intention? Your pursuit of happiness? It is our goal to help you with this.
SIGN UP FOR OUR NEWSLETTER and never again miss any of our yoga blogs again.